Meet Jamilah D. LeCruise,
Norfolk Criminal Defense Attorney
Before opening the Law Office of J. D. LeCruise, Jamilah LeCruise served as an Assistant Public Defender for the City of Norfolk, handling hundreds of criminal cases. She zealously defended clients charged with a variety of criminal offenses including traffic crimes, misdemeanors, felonies, and probation violations. From larceny and drug possession to burglary and firearms offense, Ms. LeCruise has experience in bench and jury trials.
Over the years, she has established a strong reputation as a fierce advocate for her clients and has earned the respect of her peers and members of the judiciary.
Ms. LeCruise graduated with honors from the University of Richmond with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and then attended William & Mary School of Law where she earned her law degree.
During her time at William & Mary, she volunteered abroad with a human rights organization in Ghana, traveling to villages for educational programs and participating in juvenile defense. Ms. LeCruise interned at the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia in Williamsburg where she worked on family law matters. In addition, she interned at the Office of the Capital Defender in Richmond, assisting in the defense of individuals charged with death penalty offenses.
After graduating from William & Mary, Ms. LeCruise worked as a Magistrate Attorney for the Office of Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court of Virginia where she served as a judicial officer.
Currently, Ms. LeCruise is a member of the Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association, the South Hampton Roads Bar Association, the Virginia Women Attorneys Association, and the Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
She has been recognized for her advocacy and service by Super Lawyers, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Coastal Virginia Magazine, CoVa BIZ Magazine, the Litigation Counsel of America, the American Society of Legal Advocates, the American Institute of Criminal Lawyers, the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, the National Trial Lawyers, and the National Black Lawyers.
She has received the Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference Significant Service Award, has received the highest ranking from Avvo, and has been rated a Top Contributor in Criminal Defense by Avvo.
- University of Richmond, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
- William & Mary School of Law, Juris Doctor
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed to practice before all Virginia courts
- Admitted to federal practice in the Eastern District of Virginia
- Admitted to practice in the the United States Supreme Court
- Virginia Indigent Defense Commission certified to represent defendants charged with felony and misdemeanor offenses throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association
- South Hampton Roads Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Virginia State Bar Criminal Law Section
Awards and Publications
- Avvo Top Contributor Award
- Avvo Client’s Choice Award
- Young Lawyer of the Year, South Hampton Roads Bar Association
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association Walter E. Hoffman Community Service Award
- Published in the Freedom Center Journal, University of Cincinnati School of Law
- Significant Service Award, Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference (Two-time Recipient)
- Top 40 Under 40, American Society of Legal Advocates
- “10 Best” for Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Criminal Lawyers
- “10 Best” for Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Black Lawyers
- Top Lawyer, Coastal Virginia Magazine
- Top Lawyer, CoVa BIZ Magazine
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Private Practice Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Up & Coming Lawyer, Virginia Lawyers Weekly
- Millennial on the Move, CoVa BIZ Magazine
- Gold Award Winner as Outstanding Emerging Professional, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Gold Award Winner as Best Small Business, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Gold Award Winner as Business Person of the Year, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Gold Award Winner as Best Local Leader Making a Difference, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Gold Award Winner as Best Local Entrepreneur, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Award Winner as Overall Best Law Firm, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
- Award Winner as Young Business Person of the Year, CoVA BIZ Magazine Best of Business
Community and Civic Involvement
- Corporate Board Member, Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia
- Member, Virginia State Board of Elections
- Member, Downtown Norfolk Council
- Member, Norfolk City Democratic Committee
- Member, Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia Board of Directors
- Member, Norfolk Board of Zoning Appeals
- William & Mary School of Law
- Regent University School of Law
- University of Richmond Jepson School of Leadership Studies
- Hampton University
- Old Dominion University
- Tidewater Community College
- Old Dominion Bar Association
- South Hampton Roads Bar Association Continuing Legal Education
- Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association Bench Bar Conference
- I. C. Norcom High School
- Bar Leaders Institute, Virginia State Bar
- Tidewater Paralegal Association
- National Business Institute
- Issues Concerning Women, Inc.